The Conscientious Omnivore turns 1 today!
It’s hard to believe, but—thanks to leap year—this is my 367th daily post. I started this blog last September as a way to continue and extend the reading and thinking that I’d been doing about the modern food system. I wasn’t sure if anyone else would read the blog, but I wanted to chronicle and share some of the interesting, thought-provoking things that I was discovering. Back then, I never would’ve guessed that in the next year the blog would get nearly 11,000 page views! I’m grateful that, somewhere along the way, our paths have crossed and you found your way here, and I hope you’ll come back often. (If you haven’t already done so, following the blog via Facebook, Twitter, or email are easy ways to stay up-to-date on posts: just use the links on this page.) In the weeks and months ahead, we’ll continue exploring the politics and policies that shape how our food comes to be, the ethics and cultural significance of what we eat, and the social and environmental repercussions of both our individual food choices and the larger local, national, and global systems in which those choices are enmeshed.
On this one-year anniversary, I want to share a few words of gratitude:
- Thanks to J for his ongoing encouragement and his understanding of why the things that I blog about and the food that I—and therefore often we—eat matter so much to me.
- Thanks to my dear friend V for (unintentionally) providing the inspiration I needed to start blogging.
- Thanks to my friends and family who have been gracious in their willingness to not only accommodate but often appreciate, understand, and even embrace my evolving food choices.
- Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions for topics; even the ones that don’t find their way to the pages of the blog still inform and inspire me.
- Thanks to everyone who has liked or commented on posts; your encouragement did not go unnoticed!
- Thanks to everyone who has retweeted, shared on Facebook, or otherwise linked to one or more posts; you are awesome ambassadors for the blog and thoughtful eating everywhere.
- Finally, thanks to you—yes, you!—for reading the blog and for stopping by to join me in thinking about where our food comes from.
FYI, as we enter our second year, I’ve decided to follow the lead of many other blogs and go quiet on weekends. My goal is to give myself a bit of a breather each week and be that much more energized to offer a fresh post each weekday. So, I’ll be taking the next two days off, but come Monday, I’ll be back to share more news and features from the web (and occasionally my own life) to encourage “thoughtful eating in the modern world.” Until then, have a great weekend, and enjoy a big slice of cake to celebrate our birthday!